Skip to main content

Urban Tandoor

The latest incarnation of restaurants at the corner of Wilson and Quincy in Arlington (there seems to be a new restaurant there every year or so) I was eager to try out the Indian buffet offered at lunch.  The problem with a buffet, of course, is that you can't select the options and the options on the day I tried it were not the choices I typically make.  No Channa, no Spinach, no Samosa, no bread.  Also, they had quite a number of meat options and didn't make clear which were veggie and which were meat.  Which leads me to:  Not all Indian restaurants are hugely vegetarian.  The truth is, a good number of Indian restaurants are actually being run by Pakistanis, who eat far more meat than Indians.  Why don't they call them Pakistani restaurants?  Politics.  In any case, was this good?  It was okay.  Given that the selections were not ones I would make I would say the food was "okay" without being outstanding.  The seasoning was non-existent or forgettable.

Bottom line:  So many awesome Indian restaurants in this area.  This one is just pedestrian.  Probably won't be back.

Indian buffet at lunch, upscale dinner
801 N. Quincy St.
https://www.utandoorva.com/
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Afghan Bistro

With family members moving to Springfield, it has been a struggle to find good places to eat so far afield.  After flirting with some chain restaurants near the mall, we tried a Pakistani restaurant (there are many, many Pakistani restaurants there), but it fell flat.  Finally, someone suggested this amazing place.  It's a little hole-in-the-wall in a strip mall.  With oilcloth table coverings, the vibe seems questionable.  For about a minute.  Then you are warmly greeted and given menus with a plethora of choices.  My party ordered a great number of items and every dish rose above expectations.  The staff are eager to please and checked in to make sure everything was okay, from food to drink needs.  When a member of my party dropped a piece of silverware on the floor one of the waiters swooped in with a replacement before we could even ask.   But onto the food.  We ordered the Potato and Leek turnovers, the Aushak (leek and sc...

Junction Bakery & Bistro

Everything here was good.  My party got a Tofu Stir Fry, Roasted Chicken Breast Sandwich, Crispy Flounder Sando, Sweet Potato Fries and a Chocolate Cream-Filled Croissant.  The food took a while but arrived literally hot off the grill.  The two sandwiches came with a plethora of side salad and a great homemade dressing.  Portions were large and all of us took home enough for a second meal.  The bill, with tax and tip, came to just under $75.  As mentioned, it was good.  Very good -- but not great.  Everything came close to being great it just didn't cross the line.  The cross-cut sweet potato fries were extremely munchable but the "Harissa Sour Cream" had a lot of sour cream and very very little harissa.  The Tofu Stir fry had a nice mix for a cold day but needed a little more oomph (I borrowed salad dressing from my companions).  Everything, including the Tofu and Flounder, were breaded and fried but didn't seem greasy until later....

The Bombay Club

An appointment downtown allowed me to do lunch at this ritzy upscale restaurant only a block or two from the White House.  Under the Knightsbridge Restaurant Group umbrella (Rasika, Olivia, Modena, Bindaas, Oval Room, Sababa & Annabelle) this one didn't fail to disappoint.  Food was outstanding as was service.  Prices for lunch were somewhat reasonable -- I got out for under $34 with tax and tip, although I do have some problems with their pricing scheme which I will address later.  It is a quintessential DC style establishment.  There was Mozart playing as I arrived, and an interior which screams elegance from any time period from the 1950s to now.  The seating might be the most comfortable I've ever had in a restaurant.  Yes, there is a dress code, and tables are arranged (with white tablecloths, of course) in such a way to provide a sense of privacy, if not actual privacy.  During my meal a diplomatic meeting was clearly taking place...