Skip to main content

Mi Vida

Finally!  A wharf restaurant I really liked, and one I would go back to.  This upscale Mexican restaurant had a 45 minute wait time last time I showed up.  This time I hit it right at the lunch opening.  It filled up fast.  It is easy to understand why.  The expansive menu has symbols for vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options.  The twists and reimaginings of traditional Mexican fare made for palate pleasing delights.  I had the Tatanachos, which had a wide number of subtle and spicy flavors nicely mixed.  I also had the Ensalada de Nopales, which was delightfully different and sweetly tangy.  Big difference from Lupo Marino, where $28 got me a teeny bowl of pasta.  Here, $25 (with tax and tip) got me two dishes ~and~ I took a doggy bag home.  Service was outstanding.  The only downside was fairly loud music (yes, the Wharf restaurants are all about a jazzy nightlife, but this was 11:30 in the morning).  Could bring the tunes down a peg so that conversation is possible.  Beyond that this is definitely a "return" -- I have to check out every veggie option on the menu.  Bravo, Brava.

Chef inspired upscale Mexican
98 District Square, SW
https://mividamexico.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Afghan Bistro

With family members moving to Springfield, it has been a struggle to find good places to eat so far afield.  After flirting with some chain restaurants near the mall, we tried a Pakistani restaurant (there are many, many Pakistani restaurants there), but it fell flat.  Finally, someone suggested this amazing place.  It's a little hole-in-the-wall in a strip mall.  With oilcloth table coverings, the vibe seems questionable.  For about a minute.  Then you are warmly greeted and given menus with a plethora of choices.  My party ordered a great number of items and every dish rose above expectations.  The staff are eager to please and checked in to make sure everything was okay, from food to drink needs.  When a member of my party dropped a piece of silverware on the floor one of the waiters swooped in with a replacement before we could even ask.   But onto the food.  We ordered the Potato and Leek turnovers, the Aushak (leek and sc...

Junction Bakery & Bistro

Everything here was good.  My party got a Tofu Stir Fry, Roasted Chicken Breast Sandwich, Crispy Flounder Sando, Sweet Potato Fries and a Chocolate Cream-Filled Croissant.  The food took a while but arrived literally hot off the grill.  The two sandwiches came with a plethora of side salad and a great homemade dressing.  Portions were large and all of us took home enough for a second meal.  The bill, with tax and tip, came to just under $75.  As mentioned, it was good.  Very good -- but not great.  Everything came close to being great it just didn't cross the line.  The cross-cut sweet potato fries were extremely munchable but the "Harissa Sour Cream" had a lot of sour cream and very very little harissa.  The Tofu Stir fry had a nice mix for a cold day but needed a little more oomph (I borrowed salad dressing from my companions).  Everything, including the Tofu and Flounder, were breaded and fried but didn't seem greasy until later....

The Bombay Club

An appointment downtown allowed me to do lunch at this ritzy upscale restaurant only a block or two from the White House.  Under the Knightsbridge Restaurant Group umbrella (Rasika, Olivia, Modena, Bindaas, Oval Room, Sababa & Annabelle) this one didn't fail to disappoint.  Food was outstanding as was service.  Prices for lunch were somewhat reasonable -- I got out for under $34 with tax and tip, although I do have some problems with their pricing scheme which I will address later.  It is a quintessential DC style establishment.  There was Mozart playing as I arrived, and an interior which screams elegance from any time period from the 1950s to now.  The seating might be the most comfortable I've ever had in a restaurant.  Yes, there is a dress code, and tables are arranged (with white tablecloths, of course) in such a way to provide a sense of privacy, if not actual privacy.  During my meal a diplomatic meeting was clearly taking place...