Skip to main content

Equinox

High end restaurant Equinox drops their fish and beef on the weekends for a "Plant Based" vegan brunch, and the result is a really impressive meal, albeit pricey ($35 per person).  The menu includes a wide variety of items which span the globe from India to the Caribbean.  I started with the more traditional breakfast options.  There was the house-made granola with almond milk, which was gently crunchy, well seasoned and something I would aspire to as I enter the make-your-own-granola field.  This was followed by the "Just Egg" scramble, a rich dish made with the new mung-bean based egg substitute, sweet peppers, tomatoes and scallions.  The seasoning was perfect and while I wouldn't mistake it for actual scrambled eggs it made for a very acceptable alternative.  The stuffed walnut french toast (with strawberry rhubarb jam) was not a favorite.  Like many vegan baked items the consistency was a tad gummy, although I wouldn't say that it was bad (one companion had it with maple syrup and declared it to by "yummy").  During my first course the chef himself delivered to us an amuse-bouche, a tasting dish of black-eyed and green peas dusted with tamarisk, his own discovery of a shrub resin from the Middle East.  The crunchy sweetness was surprising and different.  I followed with the salads.  There was the red and golden beet version with the most unusual combination of ingredients, including figs, avocado and pickled red onion.  A taste sensation which delighted with every bite.  The tomato and melon salad, by contrast, had unusual ingredients which were all good but didn't seem to work together as well.  This was followed by the summer vegetable jambalaya which was sturdy, mild and filling.  The spiced lentil fondue was not soup-like, confusing one of my companions, but was very tangy and served with small chunks of focaccia.  The tomato paste flavor was a bit overwhelming and could be reduced for a earthier sense of the lentils.  I liked the Pad Thai, managing to pick around mushrooms (not my favorite thing) enjoying the zip of the peppers and sriracha glaze paired with the crunchiness of peanuts.  The gazpacho, a big reason for our visit, was creamy and also had some tang.  Figs were featured in this dish as well and chopped vegetables were available on the side for garnish.  I partnered several of the dishes with breads, including a sesame and an olive.  Both had crispy exteriors and puffy light interiors.  My favorite of it all was the cauliflower tempura, which had the lightness of all possible coatings and a fresh, strong zest of lemon.  This was the one dish I allowed myself to have seconds of.  Desserts were plentiful but not particularly sweet, with the exception of the confetti cake, which was the one I liked the most.  All-in-all it was a really good meal which was appropriately filling but felt healthy.  Bravo for restaurateur Todd Gray for trying this bold experiment.  Again, it was a real treat to go to a brunch and "try it all."  On a minor note we were able to sit outside due to unusually nice summer weather, but there were a few bees.  Just FYI.

Upscale fine dining restaurant offering locally sourced chef's dishes most days, vegan brunches on the weekends
818 Connecticut Ave, NW
https://www.equinoxrestaurant.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RASA

The popular grain bowl trend gets a twist with this Indian-inspired takeout bowl place.  Same concept -- a base, greens, toppings, etc., but the options are mostly Indian inspired and the majority of offerings are vegetarian (although not vegan, given the heavy use of Ghee in cooking).  My take is mixed.  Some of the items were outstanding, some less so.  I got the Lemon Tumeric Rice, which was delightful.  Fresh and tangy, with a little bite, it was one of the best rice dishes I've ever tried.  On top of this I got the Tofu/Cauliflower protein.  It was half and half.  The cauliflower was perfectly roasted, the roasted onions delightful, and the nuts were a beautiful added crunch.  The tofu, however, was watery, and the green and red peppers well past prime.  Next, I added sauteed spinach, which was incredibly bland, and the peanut sesame sauce, which was "okay" but forgettable.  I didn't do additional toppings, although there were plenty.  I did get two of the mini s

First Watch

Meant to invite some family members here but a friend beat me to the punch.  We compromised and went together.  Unfortunately, this is a place where it looks better than it is.  Across the board.  The funky design scheme makes it an echo chamber and, with the pumping music, very loud.  Conversation was difficult.  The menu is covered in glossy photos and descriptions of the food but ... I started with the Morning Meditation Fresh Juice, a pretty blend of citrus and beet.  Or I tried to.  Took three reminders to the waiter and when it finally arrived, halfway into the meal, it was 90% ice and 10% juice.  My companions opted for coffee.  It was ice cold.  Another long wait (about 20 minutes) to get new coffee -- and included a reminder to staff that they wanted fresh cups as well.  I ordered the Vegetarian Quinoa Bowl, which was described as having up to 12 ingredients.  It had three.  The quinoa, an egg, maybe two teeny slices of tomato past its prime.  It wasn't hot or cold, just r

Mezeh

With this new version of a middle-eastern inspired "bowl/pita/wrap" meal the Ballston Mezeh has a lot to praise and a few things it could do better. On the plus side is a ton of options.  For a base they move beyond the simple rice or greens selections to specific greens options/mixes and then they have three kinds of rice (including Riced Cauliflower with Bulgar Wheat for the Keto crowd).  After that there are two different protein options for veggies -- Falafel and Veggie Kofta.  I selected the Kofta just so that I could have something new ... and loved it.  But you aren't done there.  You can choose up to 12 toppings (TWELVE) out of 27.  Then there are the dressings.  Again, the choices are overwhelming with eight -- each sounds amazing.  I went with the Spicy Mango and was not disappointed.  I ordered a bowl and still got a nice big slice of warm pita which was just yummy. The challenge however, is that the bowl I ordered online wasn't really full.  There were lot