Skip to main content

Eclairons

I need sugar.  Face it, this lock-down requires a little (just a little) stress eating.  My attempts at baking Chocolate Chip cookies have not turned out well, so I headed to Georgetown to check out the new Levain Bakery.  The line was two blocks long.  So, I headed to Plan B, a new pastry shop in western Rosslyn.  Named Eclairons it doesn't have a website yet but is related to Pastry XPO, a cafe at Mosaic I had tried a year or so ago.  Despite opening issues (I was the only one there but the clerk took a while to ring up the order and almost overcharged me), the sweets here are better than the Mosaic version.  I purchased a lot of iems to get a sense of what worked and what didn't.  Visually impressive their "cookies" (two meringue wafers filled with a variety of fluffy stuffings) were the least yummy.  They are "okay" but not stunning and tend to crumble everywhere at the first bite.  More engaging were the cupcakes and eclairs which came in some nice flavors and were rich without being overly sweet.  Even better were the small cakes.  I had a Chocolate Bombe, a slice of Almond Cake and a Fruit Cheesecake.  Each had unexpected and nicely surprising layers.  The Almond Cake, in particular, had a rich marzipan flavor with no less than five different ingredients folded into the thick topping.  While they don't knock my favorite pasty shop, Randolph's, off the throne, this place comes close.  The return trip, however, will be for a single item -- the Rum Truffles.  I haven't had them this rich, this delicious, since my favorite source for them in McLean shut down a few years back.  I will return for the truffles ... and maybe get another treat or two.

Eclairon -- upscale bakery
1737 Wilson Blvd, Arlington

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Afghan Bistro

With family members moving to Springfield, it has been a struggle to find good places to eat so far afield.  After flirting with some chain restaurants near the mall, we tried a Pakistani restaurant (there are many, many Pakistani restaurants there), but it fell flat.  Finally, someone suggested this amazing place.  It's a little hole-in-the-wall in a strip mall.  With oilcloth table coverings, the vibe seems questionable.  For about a minute.  Then you are warmly greeted and given menus with a plethora of choices.  My party ordered a great number of items and every dish rose above expectations.  The staff are eager to please and checked in to make sure everything was okay, from food to drink needs.  When a member of my party dropped a piece of silverware on the floor one of the waiters swooped in with a replacement before we could even ask.   But onto the food.  We ordered the Potato and Leek turnovers, the Aushak (leek and sc...

Junction Bakery & Bistro

Everything here was good.  My party got a Tofu Stir Fry, Roasted Chicken Breast Sandwich, Crispy Flounder Sando, Sweet Potato Fries and a Chocolate Cream-Filled Croissant.  The food took a while but arrived literally hot off the grill.  The two sandwiches came with a plethora of side salad and a great homemade dressing.  Portions were large and all of us took home enough for a second meal.  The bill, with tax and tip, came to just under $75.  As mentioned, it was good.  Very good -- but not great.  Everything came close to being great it just didn't cross the line.  The cross-cut sweet potato fries were extremely munchable but the "Harissa Sour Cream" had a lot of sour cream and very very little harissa.  The Tofu Stir fry had a nice mix for a cold day but needed a little more oomph (I borrowed salad dressing from my companions).  Everything, including the Tofu and Flounder, were breaded and fried but didn't seem greasy until later....

The Bombay Club

An appointment downtown allowed me to do lunch at this ritzy upscale restaurant only a block or two from the White House.  Under the Knightsbridge Restaurant Group umbrella (Rasika, Olivia, Modena, Bindaas, Oval Room, Sababa & Annabelle) this one didn't fail to disappoint.  Food was outstanding as was service.  Prices for lunch were somewhat reasonable -- I got out for under $34 with tax and tip, although I do have some problems with their pricing scheme which I will address later.  It is a quintessential DC style establishment.  There was Mozart playing as I arrived, and an interior which screams elegance from any time period from the 1950s to now.  The seating might be the most comfortable I've ever had in a restaurant.  Yes, there is a dress code, and tables are arranged (with white tablecloths, of course) in such a way to provide a sense of privacy, if not actual privacy.  During my meal a diplomatic meeting was clearly taking place...